Laura M. Brank
Partner London Washington, D.C. Corporate
- Arconic, a US-listed light weight metals engineering and manufacturing company, on the sale of several Russian companies to a Russian buyer, the purchase price of which was guaranteed by a Swiss entity.
- European Bank of Reconstruction and Development on numerous transactions over the years including its recent disposal of shares in a Dutch SPV and an investment in a Polish company.
- Kinross Gold on numerous M&A deals in emerging markets in the Former Soviet Union and in South America with a combined total value of over US$4 billion, including its recent divestiture of all of its Russian holdings, one of the first transactions approved of by a newly formed Russian Government Commission.
- Mechel, the Russian metals and mining conglomerate, on its sale of Bluestone Coal Corporation, a U.S. coal mining company.
- Samsonite, a major US retailer and manufacturer, on its successful exit from the Russian market via a sale to management.
- Avtovaz on the acquisition of shares in a major parts supplier.
- ABBYY Plc on its cross-border acquisition of TimelinePI Inc., a software company that provides a process intelligence platform empowering users to understand, optimize and monitor business processes.
- An ad hoc noteholder committee on the restructuring of the US$875 million eurobonds of FESCO plc, a Russian transportation and logistics conglomerate, implementing the eventual deal using a scheme of arrangement.
- A leading global business consulting firm on a highly complicated management buyout by partners in its Russian subsidiary.
- An international business travel management company on the sale of its travel services business in Russia to a Russian buyer.
- A leading European satellite provider on a joint venture with a Russian partner.
- Mechel, via its wholly owned subsidiary, Oriel Resources, on its US$425 million disposal of the Voskhod Mining Plant (in Khromtau, Kazakhstan) and Tikhvin Ferroalloy Plant (in Tikhvin, Leningrad Region, Russia) to Turkey’s Yildirim Group.
- A private investment company on its divestiture of a significant stake in an oil and gas joint venture company.
- PepsiCo and the Pepsi Bottling Group on their US$1.4 billion acquisition of a 75.53% stake in JSC Lebedyansky, a juice producer in Russia.
- VimpelCom on its €341.9 million acquisition from Hellenic Telecommunications Organization of 90% of CJSC Armenia Telephone Company (Armentel).
- The Boeing Company on its acquisition of the C-MAP group of companies, which provide digital maritime cartography, data and other navigational services.
- Holcim Auslandbeteiligungs GmbH, one of the largest suppliers of cement and aggregates in the world, now Lafarge Holcim, and some of its Russian subsidiaries, on a number of acquisitions of cement producers in the FSU.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Understanding Risks related to Sanctions against Russia – AmCham Uzbekistan (Virtual Panel) (October 31, 2022)
- Decoding Washington: Update on the U.S. Policy Debate and Sanctions Towards Russia – AEB webinar "Crisis Update: Sanctions and Countermeasures" (October 26, 2022)
- Briefing on Russian related Sanctions and Exports – U.S.-Turkey Business Council's (October 6, 2022)
- Russian Related Sanctions and Export Controls – AmCham Legal Committee (October 4, 2022)
- Economic Review: Trends in the Current Reality / Russia's technical default: What does it mean? – AmCham (July 6, 2022)
- Navigating Russian Sanctions 2 – STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners) (June 24, 2022)
- Russia Sanctions Panel - The impact of Russian counter sanctions – (Women in Investigations Network) (May 23, 2022)
- Economic Sanctions Course for Pericles Center for International Legal Education (May – July 2022)
- Navigating Russian Sanctions – STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners) (May 19, 2022)
- New sanctions against Russia – AmCham Sanctions Briefing (April 13, 2022)
- Sanctions Imposed on Russia – an update – Academy & Finance (April 12, 2022)
- Crisis Update: Sanctions and Countermeasures – AEB (Association of European Businesses) (March 25, 2022)
- MSFS & GLAF Panels on Economic Sanctions: Russia-Ukraine Crisis (March 22, 2022)
- Russia/Ukraine Briefing Call – BCIU (Business Council for International Understanding) (March 3, 2022)
- The geopolitical uncertainty and its possible consequences – AEB (Association of European Businesses) (February 4, 2022)
- Sanctions Briefing – AmCham (January 19, 2022)
- New US/EU and UK Sanctions on Russia – AmCham Geopolitical & Sanctions Briefing (February 24, 2022)
- Economic Sanctions Course for Pericles Center for International Legal Education (November 8, 2021)
- Sanctions Briefing – AmCham (October 28, 2021)
- Latest Sanctions Developments and Their Impact on the Mining Sector – Mining Council: (Dechert Presentation at the 70th Online Meeting) (July 1, 2021)
- Sanctions Briefing – AmCham (February 3, 2021)
- CBW Sanctions Round 2 – AmCham Briefing (August 2019)
- Compliance risk management in international trade and trade finance – ICC Russia seminar (June 20, 2019)
- Identifying the source of wealth in the Russian context and strategies to avoid sanctions and risks for banks — Academy & Finance's Russia & CIS Private Clients Conference, Zurich (May 9-10, 2019)
- Update on Sanctions – AmCham Board of Directors Meeting (March 30, 2019)
- Business Briefing – RBCC (February 26, 2019)
- WIOML Conference — Sintra, Portugal (June 27, 2018)
- Impact of recent U.S. sanctions on Russian oligarchs and top government officials, how to detect corruption and money laundering techniques used by PEPS, and U.S. and UK investigations on financial institutions — Academy & Finance's Russian PEPS and Oligarchs Seminar, Zurich and Geneva (June 19-20, 2018)
- Saint Petersburg International Economic Forum 2018 — Saint Petersburg (May 24, 2018)
- Recent U.S. sanctions developments affecting Russian PEPs and oligarchs and what the consequences are in practice and what further steps are expected - Academy & Finance's Russia & CIS Private Clients Conference, Zurich (May 15-16, 2018)
- U.S. sanctions - AmCham Russia Sanctions Briefing, Moscow (April 11, 2018)
- U.S. Sanctions - AmCham Russia Sanctions Briefing, Moscow (January 31, 2018)
- Current and new sanctions on Russia - BNY Mellon's Annual Depositary Receipt Issuers' Forum, Moscow, Russia (December 14, 2017)
- AmCham Russia Sanctions Briefing - Moscow (November 28, 2017)
- Economic Sanctions - Pericles Law Center, Moscow (October 23, 2017)
- The Model Mining Contract for Large-scale projects in Ecuador - PDAC 2017 Convention, Toronto, Canada (March 6, 2017)
- US-Russia relations post elections - BNY Mellon's Annual Depositary Receipt Issuers' Forum, Moscow, Russia (December 15, 2016)
- RBCC Breakfast Briefing: Outlook and Forecast of the Economic Situation in Russia - The Russo-British Chamber of Commerce, Moscow, Russia (November 29, 2016)
- Sanctions Update & Washington Visit Debrief - American Bar Association's Section of International Law Russia/Eurasia Committee programs, Moscow, Russia (May 26, 2016)
- U.S. - Russia Business Relations: Challenges and Opportunities in the New Norm - Philadelphia, PA (May 10, 2016)
- Russian Arbitration Center at the Russian Institute of Modern Arbitration, Financial Disputes
- U.S.-Russia Business Council, Board of Directors
- American Chamber of Commerce in Russia, Board of Directors
- +44 20 7184 7870
+44 20 7184 7001
London160 Queen Victoria Street, London, UK EC4V 4QQ
- +44 20 7184 7870
+44 20 7184 7001
Washington, D.C.1900 K Street, NW, Washington, DC, United States of America 20006-1110
- +1 202 261 3484
+1 202 261 3333
- University of Maryland, Munich, B.A.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- Georgetown University Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, M.S.
- New York
- District of Columbia
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, England and Wales