Malcolm S. Dorris, a partner in the Dechert New York office, has more than 25 years of experience in the securitization area. He has worked on public and private transactions spanning a wide variety of asset types, including auto loans and leases; rental cars; credit card, equipment lease and trade receivables; residential and commercial mortgage loans; middle-market corporate loans; and such esoteric asset types as 12b-1 mutual fund fees, healthcare receivables, pharmaceutical royalty rights, film distribution rights and refund anticipation loans.
In addition to serving as outside counsel to an international rating agency, Mr. Dorris has advised borrowers, commercial and investment banks, financial guarantors and others with respect to securitization issues. For the past ten years, he has been ranked as a leading securitization lawyer in legal referral guide Chambers USA, where he is cited as being “well regarded for his broad historical perspective and his knowledge of the securitization market" and "well known for his work in subprime autos.” In addition, he is consistently recognized for securitization by The Legal 500 (U.S.). In 2013, Mr. Dorris was named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America for New York City Securitization and Structured Finance Law.
Mr. Dorris has authored or co-authored numerous articles addressing global securitization issues, including: “Securitization for First Time Issuers” and “Pharmaceutical Royalties: A New Securitization Frontier,” which were published in Global Securitization and Structured Finance 2005 (Globe White Page in conjunction with Deutsche Bank); “Multi-Seller Commercial Paper Conduits and Securitization, A Brief History and Current Challenges,” published in the Journal of Structured and Project Finance (Winter 2004); New Developments in Securitization (Practicing Law Institute, 1994); and “Bankruptcy Considerations,” published in Structured Mortgage and Receivable Financing 1990 (Practicing Law Institute, 1990). Mr. Dorris is also frequently called upon to lecture on the subject of securitization.
- Auto Loans - Opal Group's Marketplace Lending & Alternative Financing Summit 2018, Dana Point, CA (November 29, 2018)
- Where are We at with Tech Applied to Auto Finance— LendIt Fintech USA 2018, San Francisco, CA (April 9, 2018)
Moderator, "Where are We at with Tech Applied to Auto Finance?" panel.
- Accelerating Growth Through Royalty Monetization Strategies — Dechert Webinar (June 28, 2017)
- The New World of Asset Securitization and Orderly Liquidation - Dechert Webinar (February 2, 2011)
- TALF and the Public-Private Investment Program - Charlotte, NC (July 15, 2009)
- Introduction to Securitization — IRR's Introduction to Securitization, San Francisco, CA (October 23, 2007)
- Introduction to Securitization: Your Essential Step-by-Step Guide to ABS — Presented by the Institute for International Research, San Francisco, CA (October 22, 2007)
This conference discussed: Building an effective ABS structure that meets the extensive tax, accounting, legal and regulatory guidelines; Structural differences between various asset classes; Basic issues involved with cross-border ABS deals as more and more deals are involving the international community; Terminology involved with derivatives in securitization; and why derivatives play an integral role in the structured finance industry.
- Ensuring Legal and Regulatory Compliance When Structuring and Issuing ABS — Introduction to Securitization Conference, Chicago, IL (October 25, 2006)
- Driving IP Value Creation Through Structured Finance -Gilead Sciences, Royalty Pharma, and Emory University Case Study — The 4th Annual Summit on IP Structured Finance, New York, NY (March 22, 2006)
- Ensuring Legal and Regulatory Compliance When Structuring and Issuing ABS — Introduction to Securitization Your Essential Step-by-Step Guide to ABS, New York, NY (April 20, 2005)
- Alternative Short Term Sources of Funding to the Term Market — ABS West, Phoenix, AZ (February 7, 2005)
- Monetizing Intellectual Property: How Small Companies Can Participate in this Booming Market — “Public or Private? The Strategic Decision for Small & Micro Cap Companies for the Next Decade” sponsored by the Strategic Research Institute, Bermuda (October 24, 2004)
- Panel: The Role of Securitization in an Issuer's Overall Funding: Strategy Best Alternatives and Reasons for Each — ABS East Conference, Boca Raton, FL (October 12, 2004)
- Panel: Reviewing Drug and Pharmaceutical Royalty Transactions: What Market Potential? — SRI's Intellectual Property Financing and Securitization Forum, New York, NY (July 23, 2004)
- Commercial Paper Conduits: The Alternative Source of Funding to the Term Market —ABS West Conference, Phoenix, AZ (February 2, 2004)
- Commercial Paper Conduits: The Alternative Source of Funding to the Term Market — 9th Annual ABS East Conference, Boca Raton, FL (October 8, 2003)
- Commercial Paper Conduits: The Alternative Source of Funding to the Term Market — Information Management Network ABS West 2003 Conference, Phoenix, AZ (February 5, 2003)
- Commercial Paper Conduits: The Alternative Source of Funding to the Term Markets — Information Management Network, Phoenix, AZ (February 6, 2002)
- Colgate University, A.B., 1976
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., 1980, Executive Editor of the Washington and Lee University Law Review
- New York
- New York Court of Appeals