Mark Dillon focuses his practice on the establishment, authorization and operation of investment funds, including all forms of Irish-regulated UCITS, alternative investment funds, and private equity funds. Mr. Dillon also specializes in advising asset managers on the authorization and ongoing regulatory obligations of UCITS management companies, alternative investment fund managers (AIFMs), MiFID firms and their respective branches. Mr. Dillon advises clients on international funds in jurisdictions across Asia and Europe, providing bespoke investment strategies and regulatory compliance guidance, including advising clients on post-Brexit strategy.
Mr. Dillon has considerable experience advising on all stages of new investment funds, giving insight on structuring, setup and ongoing compliance of regulated and unregulated investment funds. Mr. Dillon also has knowledge of anti-money laundering, insider dealing, licensing, retail, listing, and private placement requirements in multiple jurisdictions, with an emphasis on Ireland and Hong Kong. Mr. Dillon is well placed, given his experience, to assist global clients in establishing funds internationally.
Mr. Dillon was recently a member of Irish Funds' Asset Management Working Group. Prior to joining Dechert, he worked in the international financial services group of a well-known firm in Hong Kong, a leading Irish firm in Dublin, and a major corporate firm in New York.
Mr. Dillon is recognized in The Legal 500 EMEA 2021 publication for investment funds. The publication highlights that he is “particularly strong in regulatory matters”.
- The establishment of Irish, Luxembourg and Cayman-domiciled hedge funds, as both standalone exempted companies, segregated portfolio companies and master-feeder structures for a number of US, Canadian, Hong Kong, Chinese and Japanese investment managers.
- The establishment of private equity funds as Irish, Luxembourg and Cayman limited partnerships and corporate structures, including joint ventures, property and commodity funds for UK, Italian, Hong Kong and Chinese investment managers.
- The approval of UCITS umbrella fundspursuing a range of investment strategies, for large UK, Dutch and Canadian investment managers.
- The establishment and authorization of Irish UCITS management companies, AIFMs and ‘Super ManCos’, including those with ‘MiFID top-up’ permissions.
- The establishment of EU branches of Super ManCo with MiFID top-up permissions.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.