Dan Morrissey is a counsel in Dechert's Dublin office and a member of the firm’s financial services group, with a particular focus on private funds.
Mr. Morrissey has over twelve years’ experience in the funds industry, across multiple jurisdictions, and has advised managers and promoters in Europe, Asia and the U.S. on the structuring, formation and ongoing operation of private equity funds, hedge funds, ‘Japanese’ unit trusts, UCITS and European alternative investment funds, across a wide range of strategies. Mr. Morrissey has extensive experience in advising Asian and North American institutional investors on their investments into hedge and private equity funds.
Mr. Morrissey also has experience in advising managers (and funds) on their licensing / registration obligations, on compliance with law and regulation (including in their engagement with regulators) and in relation to the distribution of hedge and private equity funds across various jurisdictions.
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Morrissey worked in the investment management group of a leading U.S. law firm (in Hong Kong), in the investment funds group of a top tier Cayman Islands law firm (in Hong Kong) and in the asset management group of a leading law firm in Ireland.
- A Hong Kong investment manager in its establishment of private equity funds focused on renewable energy and clean energy investments.
- A Hong Kong investment manager in establishing a private equity fund of funds.
- A Japanese investment manager in establishing a Japan-focused hedge fund.
- A Hong Kong investment manager on the establishment of a multi-strategy hedge fund.
- A Hong Kong investment manager on the overhaul of its fund platform (covering both open and closed-ended funds) and on the establishment of new single-investment closed-ended funds.
- Asian and North American institutional investors on numerous hedge and private equity fund investments.
- Japanese financial institutions on the structuring, establishment and ongoing operation of numerous offshore investment funds.
- Japanese financial institutions in connection with their investments into private equity and infrastructure investments.
- U.K. and U.S. investment managers on the structuring and establishment of Irish-domiciled UCITS and non-UCITS funds, and in obtaining regulatory approvals from the Central Bank of Ireland.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Ireland Legal Alliance Clinic - Worked with the Irish Red Cross as part of the Ukraine Ireland Legal Alliance Clinic (2022).
- Noted as a key lawyer - “The very detailed and responsive Dan Morrissey is a stand-out lawyer with a strong understanding of hedge funds” - Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2022.
- Hong Kong Regulatory and Private Funds Update - Credit Suisse Prime Consulting Insight Series Webinar (2021)
- Hong Kong’s Open-Ended Fund Company (OFC) v Singapore’s Variable Capital Company (VCC) Regimes - Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld’s Virtual Hong Kong Investment Funds Conference (2020)
- An Overview of Recent EU Regulations Impacting Asian Financial Markets Participants - HFM Asia Webinar (2020)
- Hong Kong Limited Partnership Fund Bill: A New Funds Vehicle for Asian Private Equity Fund Managers – Webinar (2020)
- University College Dublin, BCL, 2007, First Class Honors
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong