Eng-Lye Ong regularly advises private equity sponsors, corporate borrowers and financial institutions on a broad range of complex financing transactions. He has extensive financing experience in the European and Asian markets, with a focus on cross-border leveraged and acquisition financings. His recent Asia experience includes leading roles on leveraged buyouts, going-private transactions, margin loans, fund financings and syndicated facilities.
Mr. Ong was recognized as a “Next Generation Lawyer” for Banking and Finance in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017, 2018 and 2019, and a “Rising Star” for Banking and Finance in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 and 2021, with clients commenting that he is "good to work with" and "focuses on finding solutions and getting the deal done".
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Ong was a Counsel at Weil, Gotshal & Manges in Hong Kong.
- A consortium of investors on the leveraged financing to acquire one of the world’s largest online networking applications.
- A private equity firm on its leveraged financing to acquire a major international financial markets online platform.
- A consortium of investors led by the founder, Ally Bridge Group and Boyu Capital on a US$800 million facility to finance the US$3.3 billion going-private acquisition of WuXi PharmaTech.
- Baring Private Equity Asia on its leveraged financing to acquire HCP Packaging.
- Baring Private Equity Asia on its leveraged financing to support its successful US$450 million voluntary general offer for all the shares in Interplex Holdings.
- Oaktree Capital Management and Navis Capital Partners on the financing for the combination of the Fitness First Asia and Celebrity Fitness businesses.
- TPG Capital on its leveraged financing to acquire Myanmar telecommunications tower company Pan Asia Majestic Eagle.
- Numerous subscription line, general partner and other fund financings for private equity and venture capital funds.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- The Law Society of Hong Kong
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- High Court of Australia, Honorable Justice M. G. Gaudron
- The University of Queensland, B.Com., 1993
- The University of Queensland, LL.B., 1996, First Class Honours
- University of Oxford, St. John's College, B.C.L., 2000
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, Singapore
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
- New South Wales