Craig L. Brown is a partner in Dechert’s global finance practice, focusing on commercial real estate. With over 25 years of experience advising on all aspects of real estate law, Mr. Brown’s clients include prominent investment funds, family offices, homebuilders, developers, hotel operators, money center banks and insurance companies. His practice involves representing clients in the acquisition, development, financing, leasing and disposition of all types of domestic and international real estate assets, as well as structuring complex real estate joint venture transactions.
Mr. Brown is highly skilled at representing clients in acquiring, financing and equity structuring in numerous areas, including: large real estate asset portfolios across multiple jurisdictions, such as nursing homes and rehabilitation hospitals; multi-family residential properties; public-private partnership transactions; and all classes of office buildings, mixed-use office parks, hotels and full-service resorts.
Additionally, throughout his career, Mr. Brown has developed significant experience advising family offices investing in real estate on the debt and equity side. He has established an extensive network of family offices both in the U.S. and internationally, focusing on related real estate transactions. Mr. Brown also advises on restructuring distressed real estate loans for borrowers and lenders, as well as acquiring distressed real estate out of bankruptcy or foreclosure.
Mr. Brown is recognized as a leading real estate finance lawyer in the New York Metro area by Super Lawyers, as well as The Best Lawyers in America in real estate law.
- A publicly-traded, national homebuilder in connection with the construction financing of a major multi-family rental development in Jersey City, New Jersey.
- A publicly-traded, national homebuilder in connection with a joint venture and construction financing for development of a West New York, New Jersey condominium project.
- A publicly-traded, national homebuilder in connection with a platform joint venture with an institutional investor, providing equity and debt financing for a national portfolio of entitled homesites.
- A publicly-traded REIT in connection with over US$2 billion in hotel portfolio acquisition financings.
- A prominent industrial property investor and operator in connection with a platform joint venture and corporate credit facility.
- A prominent family office in connection with its joint venture investments in and financing of properties located in the UK and Portugal.
- An institutional investment fund in connection with the acquisition out of bankruptcy and foreclosure of defaulted financing on a distressed major shopping mall located in Washington, D.C., and subsequent settlement of outstanding litigation related thereto.
- An institutional investment fund in connection with the acquisition, financing, and disposition of a portfolio of multi-family rental complexes located in and around Baltimore, Maryland.
- An institutional investment fund in connection with the acquisition and financing of a prominent office and retail building in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- An institutional investment fund in connection with the equity investment in, and disposition of a large portfolio of master-leased nursing homes, and related businesses.
- An institutional investment fund in connection with the acquisition and financing of a national portfolio of nursing homes and rehabilitation hospitals.
- An institutional investment fund in connection with its acquisition and disposition of office properties in South Korea and Japan.
- A private investment fund in connection with its acquisition and joint venture equity structuring of a resort and related development property in Anguilla, BWI.
- An international cruise line in connection with a public-private partnership for development of a cruise port with upland facilities, and related berthing arrangements in Tortola, BVI.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- University of Michigan, A.B., 1989
- Hofstra University Frank G. Zarb School of Business, M.B.A., 1993, with distinction
- Hofstra University Maurice A. Deane School of Law, J.D., 1993, with distinction; Articles Editor and Consulting Editor, Hofstra Law Review