Abbi L. Cohen, is an environmental transaction partner in the corporate and securities practice at Dechert LLP, resident in the Philadelphia office. She is recognized as a leading environmental lawyer by Chambers USA for more than 15 years, focuses her practice on evaluating environmental liabilities associated with corporate, real estate, and financing transactions—including with respect to energy—and providing both state and federal permitting and regulatory compliance advice. She has assisted clients in siting and permitting industrial facilities, including resource recovery and cogeneration facilities, as well as power plants.
Ms. Cohen has provided environmental advice with respect to thousands of business transactions. She has also advised clients on structuring transactions to minimize environmental liabilities, negotiating strategies, and in preparing relevant provisions in transaction documents in connection with acquisitions, divestitures, and financings. She has participated in supervising environmental consultants throughout North America, South America, Europe, and Asia.
Ms. Cohen is consistently recognized by Chambers USA, the International Who’s Who of Environmental Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America as a leading environmental lawyer. In the most recent edition of Chambers USA, Ms. Cohen was noted for her “high-quality work” and ability to “break down complex legal issues so executives can understand and appreciate the risks.” Prior editions have described her as a “real subject matter expert” that is “very client-oriented and very commercial” with one client praising how “she combines intellect, legal knowledge and a deal-oriented demeanor.” Others have described Ms. Cohen as “an intelligent, hard-working and responsive attorney” who has “an incredible ability to work well with all parties to get good results.” Ms. Cohen was selected as a 2020 Woman Leader in The Law by ALM Media. In 2013, Ms. Cohen was selected as a “Top Rated Lawyer in Energy, Environmental, and Natural Resources” by ALM Media. She has also been chosen as one of the leading practitioners of Environmental Law by Women in Business Law.
As Dechert’s Deputy Chair of Diversity and Inclusion, Ms. Cohen oversees firmwide policies, procedures and initiatives that uphold the firm’s core values for supporting diversity and inclusion. Prior to this role, she was the Chair of Dechert’s Global Women’s Initiative, which aims to identify and implement initiatives that promote opportunities for women to advance and lead throughout the firm. She is also a member of the Philadelphia office Hiring Committee.
- Carve-Out Transactions: Practical Tips for Successfully Navigating Key Pitfalls, Practising Law Institute — Webcast (March 25, 2019)
- Environmental Law 2018 — Presented by the American Law Institute and Environmental Law Institute, Washington, DC (February 8, 2018)
Speaker, "Due Diligence and Disclosure: An Update for Environmental Lawyer."
- Deal Makers Guide with Tools to Managing Environmental Risk for Complex M&A Transactions — RTM Communications, Inc., Philadelphia, PA (April 12, 2017)
Speaker, special session on deal-making tools in play for transactions involving environmental risk, as well as measuring and managing the uncertainties – regulatory, legal, financial (cost allocation).
- Rising Superstars: Navigating Complex Environmental Transactions — Environmental Energy and Resources Law 24th Fall Conference, Denver, CO (October 7, 2016)
- Transactional Risk Transfer: Then and Now — ABA Section of Environment, Energy & Resources 23rd Fall Conference, Chicago, IL (October 29, 2015)
Speaker, panel on environmental risk transfers in M&A transactions with emphasis on both the lessons from the past and what risk transfer tools are available today and how they might be used.
- Legal Developments and Case Law Affecting Financial Institutions and Business Transactions — Environmental Bankers Association, Charleston, SC (January 11, 2015)
- Environmental Issues in Deal Documents — Environmental Bankers Association Meeting, Newport, Rhode Island (June 12, 2012)
- Environmental Issues in M&A Transactions — RTM Conference, Boston, MA (May 1, 2012)
- Environmental Issues in Deals — Environmental Bankers Association Conference, Stowe, VT (June 13, 2011)
- Climate Change — Environmental Bankers Meeting, Alexandria, VA (June 1, 2010)
- Green Building Diligence, Risks and Incentives — ABA Real Property Spring Symposia Meeting, Philadelphia, PA (May 7, 2010)
- Conducting Business in the Context of Climate Change Mitigation Efforts — Sustainable Property Transactions: Retooling the Business of Contaminated Site Redevelopments Conference, Presented by RTM Communications with Sponsorship by Dechert, Philadelphia, PA (April 14, 2010)
- Conducting Business in the Context of Climate Change Mitigation Efforts — Energy Law Foundation Winter Meeting, Sanibel, FL (February 1, 2010)
- Environmental Due Diligence: What You Must Do and What You Should Consider Doing — EPA's 2009 Brownfields Conference, New Orleans, LA (November 16, 2009)
- The Windfall Beneath My Liens — EPA's 2009 Brownfields Conference, New Orleans, LA (November 16, 2009)
- Inside the Deal - Negotiating Tactics for Corporate Transactions — RTM Communications Inc./ Sustainable Property Transactions: Deal Making & Redevelopments of Contaminated Sites, San Francisco, CA (November 12, 2008)
- Alternative Due Diligence and Risk Management Practices for Corporate Acquisitions — Sustainable Property Transactions: New Trends, New Deals Conference, Philadelphia, PA (April 2, 2008)
- Lenders' Role in Community Revitalization Through Brownfield Project Financing — Brownfields Workshop for Bankers, Philadelphia, PA (March 4, 2008)
- Alternative Due Diligence and Risk Management Standards for Corporate Acquisitions — RTM's Contaminated Property Transactions: Promoting Sustainable Deals and Redevelopments Conference, San Francisco, CA (November 7, 2007)
- Measuring the Effect of EPA's Negotiated Rulemaking on “All Appropriate Inquiry” Standard for Due Diligence — Contaminated Property Transactions - Structuring Successful Deals Conference sponsored by RTM Communications, Inc., San Francisco, CA (November 16, 2004)
- Legal Strategies for Contaminated Property: The 2002 Brownfields Revitalization Act “As Applied” — Engineers' Society of Western Pennsylvania “The Business of Brownfields”, Pittsburgh, PA (November 8, 2004)
- Reviewing Environmental Issues and Risk Management Tools for Lenders — Wilmington Trust's Loan Organization, Wilmington, DE (October 28, 2004)
- All Appropriate Inquiry Panel — Society of Women Environmental Professionals, Princeton, NJ (October 21, 2004)
- Workshop on Practice E1527/ EPA Regulation Update — ASTM International, Washington, DC (October 5, 2004)
- Just the Facts - All Appropriate Inquiry Panel Discussion — Environmental Protection Agency's National Brownfields Conference, St. Louis, MO (September 20, 2004)
- All Appropriate Inquiry — Mortgage Banker's Association, Nashville, TN (June 14, 2004)
- Environmental Protection Agency's Proposed Regulations on “All Appropriate Inquiry” — Environmental Panel Presentation Sponsored by the Mortgage Banker's Association, Portland, OR (June 14, 2004)
- Environmental Concerns Impacting Commercial Real Estate Transactions — Marsh Corporate Environmental Practice, Cleveland, OH (April 22, 2004)
- Environmental Issues — Mortgage Bankers Association's Commercial Real Estate and Finance Conference, Orlando, FL (February 1, 2004)
- Penn Law Alumni Advisory Board for Inclusion & Engagement
- Mortgage Bankers Association, EPA’s negotiated rulemaking on the “All Appropriate Inquiry” standard for the federal superfund statute
- BNA Environmental Due Diligence Advisory Board
- Former Chair, “Appropriate Inquiry” Task Force for the Mortgage Bankers Association of America
- Former Co-chair, Environmental Insurance Task Force for the Mortgage Bankers Association of America
- Environmental Policy Committee of the Real Estate Round Table
- Several national real estate, energy, and environmental organizations
- Environmental Committee of ASTM, the industry standard setting organization, which has established a number of widely used environmental standards
- Lectures and writes frequently on environmental topics in business transactions
- Barnard College, Columbia University, B.A., 1980, magna cum laude, with High Honors in economics, Phi Beta Kappa
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1983