- MOL Oil and Gas Plc against the Republic of Croatia in an arbitration brought at ICSID under the Energy Charter Treaty, as well as a related arbitration brought by Croatia under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules.
- Hungary in an arbitration under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules brought by one of the world’s largest energy companies under the Energy Charter Treaty.
- A Canadian gold mining company in an ICSID arbitration against El Salvador in one of the first cases brought under CAFTA-DR and El Salvador’s Foreign Investment Law.
- A Canadian uranium mining company against Mongolia in an UNCITRAL arbitration brought under the Energy Charter Treaty, Mongolia’s Foreign Investment Law, and an Investment Agreement.
- An international mining company in an investment dispute with a government in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Republic of Bolivia in an ICSID arbitration with a subsidiary of an international consortium involving a water concession under the Netherlands-Bolivia bilateral investment treaty.
- A California import-export business in an ad hoc arbitration under UNCITRAL Rules brought against the Republic of Georgia under the U.S.-Georgia bilateral investment treaty.
- ICM Registry in an ICDR arbitration against the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers arising from ICM’s application for a registry agreement for the .XXX top level domain.
- Employ Media in an ICC arbitration against ICANN arising from Employ Media’s registry agreement for the JOBS top level domain.
- A Russian airline in an ICC arbitration against a U.S. supplier.
- A Russian airline in an LCIA arbitration arising from an aircraft leasing agreement.
- An U.S. hotel management company in an ICC arbitration involving a hotel in Beirut.
- A US oil and gas supply company in an ICC arbitration against its former distributor in South America.
- A Swiss pharmaceutical company in an ICC arbitration concerning a dispute over a patent licensing agreement.
- A US pharmaceutical company in a CPR arbitration against its contract manufacturing organization (“CMO”).
- A US trustee in a JAMS arbitration arising out of net profit interests in oil and gas fields in the southeastern United States.
Includes matters handled at Dechert or prior to joining the firm.
- Investment Arbitration and Environmental Protection: Who Will Blink first? — African Arbitration Experience: Expectations for the Future, 2nd NCIA Arbitration & ADR Conference, Mombasa, Kenya (March 6, 2020)
- Evidence in International Arbitration — Africa Legal Network Academy, Mombasa, Kenya (March 4, 2020)
- The Indelible Stain of Corruption in the International Legal Landscape: Views From Litigation, Arbitration, and Transactions — iLaw2020 The ILS Global Forum on International Law, Miami, FL (February 28, 2020)
- Achmea’s Aftermath: Jurisdictional Objections, Enforcement Actions, and the Fate of Intra-EU BITs — Washington, D.C. (February 18, 2020)
- Radical Proposals for Dispute Resolution: An Efficiency Revolution — 14th ICC New York Conference, New York, NY (October 4, 2019)
- Recent Developments in International Arbitration — Moscow (October 5, 2018)
- EMTA Special Seminar: Recent Developments in Emerging Markets Arbitrations — (September 26, 2018)
- Confronting Corruption Claims in International Business Disputes —Association of Corporate Counsel, New York, NY (June 20, 2018)
- Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) Prevention and Management — APEC Workshop, Washington D.C. (October 3, 2017)
- Business Skills Institute | Corporate Counsel University — CLE Seminar Presented by the Greater Philadelphia ACC, Philadelphia, PA (September 19, 2017)
Speaker, “Choosing Arbitration and International Arbitration for the Resolution of Business Disputes” — a panel on how best to ensure that the goals for which parties choose arbitration are actually achieved.
- Game theory: How do the Incentives, Processes, and Psychology of ISDS Affect Damages Outcomes? — Fifth Annual Damages in International Arbitration Conference, Washington, D.C. (September 16, 2016)
- EMTA Special Seminar: Arbitration in the Emerging Markets— London (January 29, 2016)
- Supreme Court of New Jersey, Honorable Alan B. Handler
- Wesleyan University, B.A., 1986, high honors
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1990
- District of Columbia