The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) has far reaching impacts on global companies that incorporate data driven technologies into their business models. The CCPA regulates the collection, use, disclosure, and storage of the personal information of California residents and households, including through devices. Violations of the CCPA can result in civil penalties of up to $2,500 per violation, and $7,500 per intentional violation. The CCPA also provides a private right of action for data breaches.
In November 2020, the CCPA was amended when over nine million California voters approved the California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA). The CPRA further restricts certain sharing of personal information, including by amending key definitions in the CCPA and expanding Californians’ privacy rights. These changes could pose significant impediments to targeted advertising.
The CCPA is currently enforced by the California Attorney General. However, rulemaking, enforcement and other powers will shift to the new California Privacy Protection Agency in July 2023.
Dechert’s world class Privacy and Cybersecurity team provides client-oriented, strategic advice to global companies on the CCPA and other privacy and cybersecurity laws. We offer the following thought leadership and resources to help you understand the CCPA and its potential impacts on your business.
Please contact a member of our team for assistance with your CCPA questions.
Thought Leadership, Events and Resources
- It’s a Wrap: California Attorney General Announces First-Year CCPA Enforcement Update (August 4, 2021) By: Karen Neuman, Hilary Bonaccorsi, Colleen Hespeler, Kevin Cahill, Brenda Sharton and Timothy Blank
- Newsflash - What A Long Strange Trip It’s Been: Final CCPA Regulation Amendments Approved (March 17, 2021) By: Karen Neuman, Colleen Hespeler and Hilary Bonaccorsi
- Newsflash - Who's Next? Virginia Passes Comprehensive Privacy Law (March 4, 2021) By: Karen Neuman, Colleen Hespeler and Hilary Bonaccorsi
- USA: Corporate Investigations 2021 (January 8, 2021) By: Jeffrey Brown, Roger Burlingame and Hayoung Park
- The Past as Prologue: California Voters Approve CPRA as AG Proposes New CCPA Regulations (November 12, 2020) By: Karen Neuman, Kevin Cahill, Hilary Bonaccorsi and Logan Dalton
- CCPA Regulations are Finalized and Approved with a Few Notable Changes (August 21, 2020) By: Kevin Cahill, Hilary Bonaccorsi and Logan Dalton
- State Attorney General Proposes Final Regulations in Connection with California Consumer Protection Act (June 24, 2020) By: Kevin Cahill, Hilary Bonaccorsi, Logan Dalton and Jesse Lambert
- USA: Corporate Investigations 2020 (January 21, 2020) By: Jeffrey Brown, Roger Burlingame and Hayoung Park
- California Consumer Privacy Act: Potential Impact and Key Takeaways (September 18, 2018) By: Kevin Cahill, David Harris and Hilary Bonaccorsi
- fintechNEXT Webinar Series: A Conversation With the Experts: The CPRA and What It Means for Your Business (March 24, 2021) Featuring Alastair Mactaggart, Founder of Californians for Consumer Privacy, Jules Polonetsky, CEO of the Washington, D.C.-based Future of Privacy Forum and Leah Perry, Senior Director and Global Head of Policy & Privacy, at Box, Inc. Moderated by: Karen Neuman.
- Privacy & Cybersecurity: Latest Developments with Big Data and Web Scraping, CCPA Compliance, GDPR Enforcements, and the “Remote Working World” of COVID-19 (April 2, 2020) Speakers: Timothy Blank, Olaf Fasshauer, Hilary Bonaccorsi and Jennifer McGrandle.
- Moving Past Talk to Success: How to Manage Efficient and Effective Data Monetization Projects (September 19, 2019) Speakers: Joshua Rawson, Ben Barnett, Timothy Blank, Mike Cowie, Hilary Bonaccorsi.
California Consumer Privacy Act
- California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, Final Version, effective January 1, 2020
- California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, Bill Version (SB 1121)
- Final Regulations, dated March 15, 2021
- Proposed Modifications to Final Regulations, dated October 12, 2020
- Final Text of Proposed Regulations, dated August 14, 2020
California Privacy Rights Act
- CCPA/CPRA Codified as Statute
- California Privacy Rights Act – Proposition 24, as reflected in Official Nov. 3, 2020 Ballot Initiative
- California Privacy Rights Act – Proposition 24, as filed with the California Attorney General
California Privacy Protection Agency