- Bregal Partners L.P. on its investment in American Seafoods Group, LLC and its affiliates, the largest harvester of wild-caught fish for human consumption in the United States, as part of a broader deleveraging recapitalization.
- Bregal Partners L.P. on the acquisition of US Community Behavioral LLC as a platform to create a national provider in community-based behavioral health followed by the acquisition of ReMed Recovery Care Centers LLC, a provider of brain injury rehabilitation services.
- Bregal Partners L.P. on the formation of Aqua Terra Water Management, L.P., an acquisition and organic growth platform providing water management and disposal services to onshore oilfield customers in North America, and numerous acquisitions of saltwater disposal facilities and related assets throughout the United States and Canada.
- Centre Partners Management on the sale of U.S. Retirement Partners, Inc. (USRP), a provider of K-12 employee benefits and retirement planning services, to Kohlberg & Company.
- Centre Partners Management on the sale of Monte Nido, a provider of treatment for eating disorders and exercise addiction to adults and adolescents, to Levine Leichtman Capital Partners.
- Centre Partners Management on the acquisition of Captain D’s, a fast casual seafood restaurant chain, from Sun Capital Partners, and the subsequent sale of Captain D’s to Sentinel Capital Partners.
- Cerberus Capital Management on the sale of The Netherlands-based Covis Pharma BV, a global specialty pharmaceutical company, to funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management.
- Cerberus Capital Management and PaxVax on the sale of PaxVax, a company focused on specialty vaccines that protect against existing and emerging infectious diseases, to Emergent BioSolutions Inc. for US$270 million.
- Cerberus Capital Management on the sale of real estate interests of nine acute care hospitals operated by Steward Health Care System LLC to Medical Properties Trust, Inc. and a related equity investment for US$1.25 billion.
- CVC Capital Partners as the lead investor in a consortium that is sponsoring the proposed combination of Worldwide Express, LLC and GlobalTranz Enterprises, LLC to create an industry leader with unique technology capabilities and market-leading solutions for the freight and parcel markets. Other consortium members include GlobalTranz's current lead investors, Providence Equity Partners and PSG, while current Worldwide Express lead investor, Ridgemont Equity Partners, will also retain a significant stake in the combined entity.
- Further Global Capital Management on its cross-border, take-private acquisition of the entire issued share capital of GBGI Limited, a Guernsey domiciled AIM-listed insurance company.
- Further Global Capital Management on its acquisition of U.S.-headquartered Payment Alliance International (PAI), the nation’s largest privately-held ATM provider.
- GIC, the sovereign wealth fund of Singapore, as part of a consortium led by Blackstone that includes GIC and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board on a partnership agreement with Thomson Reuters for Refinitiv (f/k/a Thomson Reuters’ Financial & Risk (F&R) business) at an overall valuation of US$20 billion, which, according to Refinitiv, is the second largest private equity-backed acquisition in the past three years (at the time it announced).
- GIC on the US$27 billion sale of Refinitiv by a consortium (consisting of Blackstone, an affiliate of GIC, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board and Thomson Reuters) to London Stock Exchange Group plc, representing the largest PE exit in 2019, according to Bloomberg.
- GIC on the merger of Ultimate Software and Kronos Incorporated for an enterprise value of US$22 billion.
- GIC as part of a Hellman & Friedman-led investor consortium (including GIC, Blackstone, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, JMI Equity and other investors) on the US$11 billion take-private acquisition of Nasdaq-listed Ultimate Software.
- GIC as part of an investor consortium led by Leonard Green & Partners and Ares Management on the acquisition of Press Ganey from EQT Partners.
- GIC on its acquisition of a substantial equity stake (along with Silver Lake) in Ancestry.com, a provider of online family history data and personal DNA testing, and the subsequent sale by the investor consortium of Ancestry.com to Blackstone for US$4.7 billion.
- NOVADAQ Technologies Inc. on its US$701 million acquisition by Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK), one of the world's leading medical technology companies.
- Public Pension Capital (PPC) on its acquisition of Viteos Fund Services, a leading provider of middle- and back-office technology and services for the investment management industry, which was recognized as one of India Business Law Journal’s “Deal of the Year” in 2017. Subsequently advised Viteos and its sponsors on its sale to Intertrust N.V.
- Quilvest and its portfolio company, Command Alkon, a supplier collaboration platform for construction’s heavy work, on its sale to private equity firm Thoma Bravo.
- Quilvest on the acquisition of UK-based Phaidon International, a global micro-specialist recruitment firm.
- Quilvest on the acquisition of approximately 55% of the equity interests in American Franchise Capital (AFC), which operates as a significant and leading franchisee of Applebee’s and YUM! Brands restaurants.
- SK hynix, Inc. as a member of the consortium, on the US$18 billion acquisition of Japan-based Toshiba Corporation’s NAND flash memory and solid-state drive business, which, according to Thomson Reuters, is the fourth largest private equity-backed M&A transaction since the financial crisis (at the time it was announced). The transaction was named “M&A Deal of the Year for North Asia" at The Asian Lawyer's Asia Legal Awards 2018. It was also named "Japan Deal of the Year," "M&A Deal of the Year (Premium)," and "Technology, Media and Telecommunications Deal of the Year" at Asian Legal Business's ALB Japan Law Awards 2018.
- Dechert’s Mark Thierfelder on 2020′s global M&A surge, CNBC (December 11, 2020)
- Dechert’s Thierfelder: M&As will continue declining as companies find other ways to raise capital, CNBC (June 23, 2020)
- Outlook 2019: Competition by PE firms for deals will lead to more consolidation, CNBC (December 18, 2018)
- How Brexit Vote Impacted the SoftBank, ARM Deal, Bloomberg Markets (July 18, 2016)
- Dollar vs. the Euro, BofA Adds to Capital, CNBC (September 29, 2011)
- Strategic Acquirers Are Back, The Deal Pipeline (August 04, 2011)
- FDI Impact on International Dealmaking Resulting from the COVID-19 Pandemic, Practising Law Institute (June 25, 2020)
- Foreign Direct Investment Controls: Globalization in Reverse?, Dechert LLP and the Brunswick Group Webinar (May 28, 2020)
- Private Equity Future-Proofing, Markets Group’s Third Annual Private Equity US Fall Forum — San Francisco, CA (October 29, 2019)
- Global Private Equity Investing, Markets Group’s 8th Annual Private Equity US Spring Forum — New York, NY (May 6, 2019)
- Large Cap PE: Creative Capital Deployment Practices in Today's Economically Uncertain Environment with High Valuations, Wharton Private Equity & Venture Capital 2017 Conference — New York, NY (January 20, 2017)
- Working Capital Adjustments – Eliminating the Guesswork, Practising Law Institute — New York, NY (February 3, 2016)
- Middle Market Private Equity: Finding Value in a Seller’s Market, Wharton Private Equity & Venture Capital 2016 Conference — Philadelphia, PA (January 29, 2016)
- Success Strategies In The Expanding World Of Middle-Market Private Equity, Wharton Private Equity & Venture Capital 2015 Conference — Philadelphia, PA (January 30, 2015)
- Trustee, McCarter Theatre, Princeton, NJ
- Member, Advisory Board, The Kenan Institute for Ethics at Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
- Trustee, Chair of Institutional Advancement, Executive Committee, National Humanities Center, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
- Co-Chair, Lawrenceville Parents Fund, The Lawrenceville School, Lawrenceville, New Jersey
- Former Treasurer, Chair of Finance Committee, Executive Committee, Princeton Day School, Princeton, New Jersey
- Former Member, Advisory Committee, The Deal
- Former Member, Corporation Law Committee, New York City Bar Association
- Former Member, Private Equity Editorial Advisory Board, Law360
- +1 212 698 3804
+1 212 698 3599
New YorkThree Bryant Park, 1095 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY, United States of America 10036-6797
- +1 212 698 3804
+1 212 698 3599
- Rutgers School of Law - Newark, J.D., 1992, with Honors, Order of the Coif
- Duke University, B.A., 1986
- New York